The Barangay Development Council (BDC) is a planning and coordinative body in the barangays. It is mandated by law to assist the sangguniang barangay in setting the direction of economic and social development and in coordinating development efforts within the barangay. This is headed by the Punong Barangay as chairman, and shall be composed of the following members:
1. Members of the Sangguniang Barangay;
2. Representatives of non-government organizations (NGO’s) and people’s organization (POs) operating in the barangay, who shall constitute not less than one fourth (1/4) of the members of the fully organized council.
3. A representative of the congressman [Section 107(a), RA7160] .
How shall the NGOs and POs be represented in the barangay development council? Within a period of sixty (60) days from the start of the organization of the barangay development council, the NGOs and POs shall choose from among themselves their representatives to said council. The Sangguniang Barangay shall accredit NGOs and POs subject to such criteria as may be provided by law.
The Punong Barangay determine the need to reconstitute the council based on changes in the composition of the sangguniang barangay after the election, change of barangay secretary who shall serve as the council’s secretariat, performance of NGO and PO representatives in the previous administration, or change of the representative of the congressman. For instance, if in the past, some of the NGO and PO representative never attended the council’s meetings and never participated in the activities of the council; the Punong Barangay need to decide if they should remain as members of the council.
The council’s frequency of meeting (Sec.110) is at least once every six (6) months, and its functions include the following (Sec.109b):
1. Mobilize people’s participation in local development efforts
2. Prepare barangay development plans
3. Monitor and evaluate the implementation of national and/or local programs and project, and
4. Perform such other functions as may be provided by law or competent authority (Section 109-b of RA 7160).
Supposing the council is not in session the Barangay Development Council Executive Committee shall represent the Council and act on its behalf when it is not in session. The council’s executive committee is chaired by the punong barangay and has two members, namely: (1) a representative of the sangguniang barangay (2) a representative of the NGOs or POs represented in the council.
It is advisable that the representative of the sangguniang barangay in the council’s executive committee is the chair of the sanggunian’s committee on appropriations. This will facilitate the preparation and approval of the annual and supplemental budgets as barangay budgets have to operationalize the approved barangay development plan (Section 305-I of RA7160).
The barangay development council executive committee shall exercise the following powers and functions (Sec. 111b):
· Ensure that decisions of the council are faithfully carried out and implemented.
· Act on matters requiring immediate attention or action by the council.
· Formulate policies, plans, and programs based on the general principles laid down by the council.
· Act on any other matter that may be authorized by the council.